Post subject: Atari 2600: Stella 3.8
Posted: Feb 22, 2013 - 03:19 PM
Joined: Jul 04, 2004
Location: Frankfurt a.M.
Highscores in 03/2015
Eine neue version vom Atari 2600 Emulator Stella wurde veröffentlicht.
A new version of the Atari 2600 emulator Stella has been released.
release 3.8 for Linux, MacOS X and Windows is now available.
- Huge changes to the sound system:
- The sound code now uses 16-bit signed samples instead of 8-bit
unsigned samples, making it more compatible with a wider variety of
- Improved sound output for several ROMs, including "Space Rocks"
(the ´heartbeat´ sound can now be clearly heard).
- The ´volume clipping´ option has been removed, since in 16-bit
mode it´s no longer needed.
- The ´Tia freq´ option has been removed.
- Selecting more common sample rates (other than 31400) now works
much better, but there are still a few ROMS (like Quadrun) where
31400Hz still works best.
- Many changes to handling ZIP archives:
- Files in multiple levels are now recognized. This fixes issues
in Windows where such files couldn´t be loaded at all, and in all
systems where ROMs with the same name (but in different
directories) weren´t being recognized.
- ZIP contents are now handled more intelligently. Archives
containing only one ROM are automatically loaded, whereas those
with multiple files are treated as directories.
- Opening an archive from the commandline now works as in the UI,
where opening a multi-ROM archive will pop up the UI and show the
archive contents (as a directory).
- The ZIP code behind the scenes is now much faster by making use
of caching (the old code was actually from 1998!).
- This new ´archive´ infrastructure may eventually lead to 7-Zip
support, as well as ´virtual´ formats (such as showing the list
of files for 2in1/4in1/8in1/etc within the UI).
- Improved bankswitch autodetection for FA2 ROMs; 29K and 32K versions
(meant for Harmony cart) are now recognized.
- Improved bankswitch autodetection for X07 ROMs (although there´s only
two known ROMs in existence, so the detection probably isn´t robust).
- Tweaked bankswitch autodetection for the 0840, F8 and FE schemes;
several homebrews that didn´t run before now work correctly.
- Fixed regression in RIOT INTIM reads; at least one known ROM
(Mr. Roboto Berzerk hack) wasn´t working properly.
- Fixed bug in the debugger with RIOT INTIM/TIMINT display; reads
were being done multiple times, changing the state of the
registers and resulting in incorrect emulation.
- Worked around bug in debugger disassembly of zero-page RAM; for now,
the resolving of address vs. data sections is turned off in such a
case. This fixes lockups in ´Meltdown´ ROM.
- Added support for different directories for saving/loading PNG
files. These are set with the ´snapsavedir´ and ´snaploaddir´
commandline arguments (which replace the old ´snapdir´), and are
also available within the UI.
- Changed ´eepromdir´ commandline argument to ´nvramdir´, and changed
the default location to BASEDIR/nvram (where BASEDIR depends on your
OS). This means all your EEPROM and Flash files will have to be
manually moved to this new directory. This affects developers, and
those people playing ROMs with AtariVox/SaveKey support as well as
the newer ´Star Castle´ FA2 ROMs.
- Updated included PNG and ZLIB libraries to latest stable version.
[ Atari 2600 Emus ][ Ataris Geschichte ]
_________________Alderaan shot first!
[ AEP @ Twitter
][ AEP @ Facebook
] [ AEP @ Google+